Monday, August 3, 2009

August Mom of the Month - Ruth Chang


Ruth Chang with husband Billy and Violet

Hometown - USA--i was an army kid so i was all over.
Education - Bachelor's at UCR and then MEd (Master's of Education) there as well. Used to teach until I had Violet! =0)
Stroller Strides Member since - Like the last day of April 2009.
Members of my family - My husband, me and Violet.
My mom, dad, four sisters, two brothers.
Current/Previous Career - 3rd grade teacher!

What was your childhood ambition?
To become a teacher, doctor, scientiest, astronaut, and musician. but ultimately, a teacher.

What does motherhood mean to you?
Motherhood means being the most loving support a child can have. Being there no matter what. But, more importantly--my child knowing that I'll be there no matter what. Motherhood is the first and most important priority in my life. I feel that it should be that way for everyone.

What is the furthest you have been from home?
South Korea--or maybe that was the closest I was to home? (Since I am Full Korean)

What has Stroller Strides done for you?
It has helped me to get out of my isolation as a mom and see that being a stay at home mom is indeed wonderful! It has helped me to gain self confidence in my body. It has helped me to be more mobile and I can actually move and run more than i ever have in my life (even before i was pregnant!)

What is your favorite exercise? ABS!!!

What is your proudest moment? during stroller strides:
The day i could actually run several blocks and not feel like i was going to pass out!!!
during Motherhood:
the day i looked at my chubby Violet who was in the 95 percentile in weight and could honestly say, "This was all made by me and my milk!!!" =0)

What are three of your favorite things (besides your family!)?
music, reading, walking with my family.

Tell us something about yourself that would surprise us or makes you unique.
The first time i met my husband was when i was 6 or 7 in Washington state. He visited his cousin's church, which was my church at the time. later, when i was 12, i lived in Virginia, but went to a camp meeting in Tenessee and my future husband was my class speaker. the next year, he did not come to the camp, and i wrote him a letter saying that it was boring without him. (which he still has for some reason). Later, when i was 19, i was singing with my sisters at a church in Riverside, and my future husband was the church leader there. It was destiny! and NO, i did NOT have a crush on him before i was 19. He was 5 years older than me, and when you're 12, 5 years is way too old! (at least for me it was!) =0)
oh--another interesting thing--my mother-in-law lives with us. =0)


1 comment:

Melissa said...

Congrats Ruth! You should be very proud of your beautiful creation...Violet.